Monday, March 4, 2013

Green Salsa Verde, Chicken and Rice

This picture does not do this dish justice.  It was very tasty and very easy.  Since I already have green salsa made from my bumper crop of green tomatoes at the end of last summer, I thought this recipe idea was perfect.  The idea is from Kat of A Good Appetite.  Yes, I know green salsa is made from tomatillos.  I make it, I know.  But I used my poetic cooking license and made it with green tomatoes.  I just love when I can pull something from my freezer in the winter that was from my garden or the market in the summer.  Wholesome and good.  And easy to boot.  All that prep work all ready done! Layer it all in and voila!

Green Salsa Verde, Chicken and Rice

4 cups of cooked rice
1 jar pf green salsa- about 16 ounces. 
2 cups cooked chicken shredded or chopped ( I used chicken thigh meat)
2 cups mozzarella or pepper jack, shreddedd

Smooth out rice in a lightly sprayed 9 x 13 casserole dish.  Spoon green salsa over top, evenly distributing.  Sprinkle chicken over that and then the cheese.  Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350 for about 45 minutes.

I made this a second time without the chicken and it was equally delicious.

No comments: